Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The 3 day dissertation is not going well. In fact i think i may give up. In theory i think the 3 day dissertation is a good thing, but i just chose the wrong time to do it. The inlaws just left and Voice of Reason is coming late tomorrow night. mentally i am very much in vacation mode, and perhaps i should just concentrate on enjoying the summer because school starts again soon enough. i know i don't take any classes or anything, so what i do is pretty much the same as in the summer, but there is a distinct mental shift. I believe as scholars we like to slow down for our four month summers. Not a good idea when you're trying to finish your PhD, and yet a fact of life.

Besides, it looks like a fair portion of tomorrow will be taken up with re-applying for another PhD extension. My advisor says i shouldn't worry about this too much, it is just a few administrative hurdles i have to clear, but it worries me. The grad studies web site says that they are reluctant to grant a second extension. The thing is, statistically it almost always takes Humanities PhDs more than the requisite 6 years to finish, and 8 years is the average. I've always been average, so why should this be any different. I just hope grad studies sees it my way. Besides, if they don't grant me the extension i will be really mad if i spent the last days of summer working my butt off!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if your mind is telling you to relax then you should relax. :) Claire (I'm back here www.17th-century.info/news trying to blog more formally)

3:27 AM  
Blogger Amardeep said...

Yes, vacation mode makes things very difficult. To trigger a 3-day blitz, you kind of need something to stimulate you into action -- a lecture, an intense conversation about your topic, something.

Another option might be: a lot of junk food and a motel room... ?

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy VOR's visit and the last few days of summer. Everyone knows that school begins in September the day after Labour Day. Why break the cycle now, particularly if it's not working?

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure what to make of your withdrawal from the race... Does this mean that I am the winner by default? There is still at least 3-4 hours left today; plenty of time to get a page or two done and push ahead into the lead.

Maybe Amardeep is right. The three day dissertation should be in a hotel room. No distractions, no interruptions. The frenchman actually thought that the three day dissertation took place in a single venue: No one leaves without permission from the group.

I have a small problem with "the distinct mental shift". I often seek the fresh start of a new day, a new week, a new year. In my case its simple procrastination. I'm not talking about you, just myself.

Anyhow I'm far too sick of being a graduate student and far too sick of our beloved university to think of doing anything except work on the thesis (with the one exception being hanging out with the girlfriend - I forgot her blog name). I need to put this part of my life behind me. The greatest frustration part is that for about 4 years I have felt little else than hatred towards being a grad student, yet I'm still here.

It is this unhealthy anger that motivates me to work on my thesis. My only other option is to remain angry.

Delicious Futomaki.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home