Sunday, July 11, 2004

So fellow summer readers, what have you been reading lately? My favorite recent read is THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG AT NIGHT TIME by Mark Haddon. The hype surrounding this book has been huge and usually that puts me off a book, but this time it was dead on. As you've probably heard, it is a story told by a 15 year old autistic teenager about the incident of the dog at night time. The true insight of the book comes in letting you into the head of an autistic individual and how they think. And in that respect it's brilliant. It's a quick read and it keeps a smile on your face, in spite of some very emotionally driven scenes. I think the general consensus at Bookclub 3000 was positive, though there was one nay sayer in the crowd (uncomfortable with all the poo scenes i believe). And speaking of Bookclub 3000, word up dudes and you are now privy to the random thoughts and musing that pass through my head.

The second book of note that i've read recently is THE ROMANTIC by Barbara Gowdy.I don't really know how to evaluate this book. Yeah, it was a good read. No complaints. And yet there was nothing earth shattering about it. The only other book by Gowdy that i've read is THE WHITE BONE, which i thought was a truly exceptional book, completely written from the point of view of elephants. Fascinating and well written. So by comparison, THE ROMANTIC was nothing to write home about. But having said that, i still want to read FALLING ANGELS.

5 Comments:

Blogger scarbie doll said...

Falling Angels is either coming to a theatre or vid store near you. It was quite the hype at the T.O. film fest last year. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365183/

Currently reading Kitchen Confidential by Tony Bourdain. I highly recommend it to any foodie or former restaurant employee. He's an ex-druggie chef, hardcore New Yorker and severe food snob with the mouth of a truck driver.

The book that impressed me and my fellow bookies the most lately was The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It's about 2 families, 2 generations of men in Afghanistan from the 60s to modern day. It is a fast read and you will learn a lot about Afghanistan through a story that will stay with you long after the book is done.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delightful site. I agree with your comment that Curious Incident.... keeps a reader smiling. I was very intrigued by your comment about The Romantic several months ago a friend and I read it at the same time. I liked it but my friend found it flawed because it did not give a grounding or reason for Abel’s behaviour. Yet, if fiction is good (and Gowdy does indeed write good fiction) the characters seem like real people and we all know people who exhibit destructive behaviour without just reasoning or cause.
And now that I have finish rambling I will simply repeat.....GREAT SITE!!
Michele Agnew

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://knqirylw.com/wuwj/xhca.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://ejshobzz.com/fsdf/ufbt.html]Cool site[/url]

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://knqirylw.com/wuwj/xhca.html | http://qiutnchn.com/tvfp/ugjg.html

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home