Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Excellent, Grasshopper

Met with my advisor today about my introduction. He loved it!! He said that normally he doesn't act this favorably towards first drafts. Usually he orders massive rewrites, but he was really pleased with mine. According to him i have "an excellent sense of structure". I tell you, it feels pretty good. Now if i can only harness this positive energy and get down to business.

And on the business note, I am proposing a three day dissertation contest a la 3 day novel contest, which was started here on the west coast. Same rules apply: you've got three days to work your ass off, and hopefully you will get some good results. Unlike the novel writing contest, there is no entry fee and no prizes. Ultimately i don't want it to be contest at all, just a bunch of sorry ABDs getting as much done in as short a period as possible. The PhD will be its own reward, she says in a lofty voice. Yeah right! SO far i've got one person signed up. It will likely take place in the second or third week of August. Let's get busy.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo! Take a bow! Congratulations! Celebrate!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's this contest? How many words you can get done in 3 days? I'm up for it. Claire

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so pumped by the advisor's positive input (actually, it is positive that he provided some input finally) that I want to sign up for the three day dissertation contest, and I'm not even doing a dissertation!

11:08 AM  
Blogger PhDiva said...

claire, i knew you'd be up for it. I'll keep you posted!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I the 1 person (other than claire) to be on board for the 3 day thesis writing "exhibition"? Fortunately, I set a low standard for writing quality.

Like I told my supervisor, I look to find the minimum standard for a phd thesis and slowly asymptote towards it.

low standards = high productivity; at least for a three day contest.

I look forward to the post contest beer on a patio.

(eat) futomaki

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home